Overall, I am really pleased with the final outcome of my magazine, the images and layout work really well and are mostly what I envisioned.
I starting off and spent a long time researching the brand and their previous campaigns. There are many different sides to the Brand and has lots to offer, there’s the history of the brand, the army, biking and farming to name a few. The heritage of the brand is very important and thats one of the main things I wanted to try and portray. My research showed me that even though recently there hasn’t been much of a market anymore for Barbour, it is now becoming more of a fashion item and the prices and designs have changed because of this. For example there isn’t and never has really been much advertising, yet the brands images are beginning to have a mixture of all the aspects of the brand as well as modern everyday. The brand has recently done a lot of collaborations, which I feel has helped make the brand more fashion orientated. For this project I decided to try not to focus too much on the modern day Barbour lifestyle, I wanted to stay any from the fashion image it has today and show more of who actually wears the clothing brand. I wanted to try and do this is a documentary style and not use any ‘models’ and just use and photograph real people. I wanted to show the country style side of Barbour and therefore shot on location in Norfolk.
I decided to go more in a documentary style as this is something I haven’t really done much of and I wanted to try something out of my comfort zone and challenge myself. Also I haven’t worked on location that much and felt this was also a good way to push myself. Working on location was a lot harder than I expected, I feel that I wasn’t fully prepared for the preparation and planning you have to do because of the distance. I feel this let me down and I should have organised my time and my shoot better. I feel that I should have been better equipped and made sure I had reflectors and a selection of lens with me, instead of relying on people to bring them. I had troubles with the weather as well which I feel this if I had done most Location work I might have been better prepared for. I in fact prepared for the worst which was good, however both days I was shooting it was really sunny which caused glare and the the sun kept going in and out behind the clouds which meant I had to keep changing my settings.
Despite the lack of organisation on me and my sisters part I am pleased with my small team I worked with on this shoot but feel even though it’s what I wanted I probably could have pushed harder to work with a MUA and a stylist. I enjoyed working with multiple models, but feel I maybe work better one to one. I didn’t want the shoot to get too big or complicated, and I wanted it to be kept simple, but enjoyed being able to work with so many people and creating a team.
I think my main problem I had with this project was choosing to travel and work on location for my shoot but then not having the time to recce everywhere and organise everything efficiently but I know this was mainly all my fault. However I feel that both shoots went very smoothly and I didn’t have any major issues. I enjoyed experimenting and challenging myself, and feel I have got some great images out of doing this project.